Sunday, April 03, 2005

Experiments With Food

Yesterday, when I was at dim sum, I tried a dumpling that was pork filled (half the time I have no clue what I've ordered at dim sum so I eat a lot of things without quite knowing what to expect, like the cubes of what turned out to be mango jello, which were quite good.) For months I haven't been eating beef or pork because it tastes odd, but at dim sum yesterday, it all tasted good. Maybe because my chemo has changed and my toxic load is lower? I don't know.

Today, at the grocery, I bought a steak. Tonight, at dinner, I'm going to try it. I'll broil it and finish it with a little garlic butter and eat it with a big tossed salad on the side. I admit, my hopes are high.

3 Comments:

Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

I am happy to report that the steak tasted wonderful.

(Ellen, changes in taste are a very common adverse affect of chemo, and they very often involve beef and pork. The current theory is that chemo makes the amino acids in red meat taste bitter. But I had the salt thing once when I was really sick, too. But I never got as bad as you--I eventually managed to start eating again by eating ice cream.)

April 03, 2005 6:59 PM  
Blogger Herr Doktor said...

If I could find some magical treatment that would preserve the taste buds during chemotherapy (especially ABVD) I would spend a ton of money just to get the word out to patients. I'm glad you enjoyed the steak.

P.S. other people's money, of course - how about Aventis's?

April 03, 2005 11:17 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Oh, I'm glad the steak tasted wonderful!

April 04, 2005 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home