Sunday, March 09, 2008

Star-- er, I Mean, Food-Crosssed




















I work in LA, so Bob has never actually met any of the people I work with. I fly out to California every week now. There's not a lot of reason for people I work with to come to Austin. Except, maybe, the SXSW Interactive conference.

Steve Peters is coming for a panel tomorrow, flying in tonight. I'm leaving for LA tomorrow morning--leaving the house at 6:45 am. (My commute sucks.) But that means that we have a few hours overlap and Steve can come and meet Bob and Hudson. (Steve is a fellow fan of golden retrievers.)

So I had to cook. Pork tenderloin in a garlic honey glaze, potatoes roasted in duck fat, and roasted green beans. For desert, a Tres Leches cake, a Mexican cake that is soaked in condensed milk, evaporated milk, and whole milk or cream. It sounds like a soggy mess, but it's more like cake that comes pre-ice creamed.

But then I get an email from Steve. His plane is delayed. He's not getting in until too late to come see us.

I'm sorry Steve. So is Bob (although Bob is grateful because I don't cook nearly as much as I used to and he got a fairly good meal out of the deal.) Here's hoping you get here sometime. I hope to cook for you when you do.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cake sounds good. Could you post the recipe?

March 09, 2008 9:26 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

I confess, my recipe is 'go to Whole Foods.' I am home for such a short time and have so much to do...

but here's a recipe.

http://cookingresources.suite101.com/article.cfm/best_tres_leches_cake_recipe

March 09, 2008 9:59 PM  
Blogger Caroline M. Yoachim said...

Hee. 'Go to Whole Foods' is a great recipe, I've used it myself many a time :)

(also, potatoes in duck fat...YUM!)

March 09, 2008 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

weather played havoc with me this week end also Maureen, Alex's flight from VA was cancelled, Cleveland had no visibility to let planes land. You missed a heck of a blizzard, back sore from helping neightbors get out of drifts. Some four feet high! No food left over though, he doesn't like my raspberry infused porkloin with corrant drizzle. Seven year olds go figure. Have safe travels---Lawrence

March 10, 2008 1:13 AM  
Blogger jesswynne said...

*drool*

March 10, 2008 4:56 PM  
Blogger Adam Rakunas said...

My new cooking goal for March: cooking with duck fat. Good gravy, that sounds amazing.

March 11, 2008 11:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is beyond sad for me :(

March 11, 2008 11:49 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh my god. I can't afford groceries till tomorrow, and I'm munching on those carrots made to look like wee carrots but are actually honed from larger, bitter carrots. That food looks amazing.

March 13, 2008 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a good thing I ate before I read your blog, or I'd be dying right now.

Must try that cake some day, it looks really interesting.

March 13, 2008 8:46 PM  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

If Hudson is not already feeling better, you could try giving him some of that cake from Whole Foods. :-) I know it would make me feel better.

March 18, 2008 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home