Monday, December 17, 2007

In The Air

I don't wear a watch.

...on a plane and when the clouds part I see a town, a triangle of highways scratched in a dry land. In the triangle, a grid of streets. Clouds again, then a break and a line of tall white turbines in a wind farm turning amazingly fast for their size.

West Texas? New Mexico? Arizona? I know precisely where I am. Seat 29F. But otherwise, I am adrift. Without time or location, alone among strangers. I don't know how long I have been flying, how much longer I will fly. I am cocooned in the harsh thrum of jet engines.

We came out of the savannas of Africa, tens of thousands of years ago, making a map in our heads that we measured with our feet and our eyes, walking in the company of kin. We are nomads by biology. But we weren't made for this.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer not to wear a watch when I fly. I'm in a zen space where time is ever-changing, as we change time zones. I can come adrift in time, enjoying my book or the scenery. We'll get there when we get there. I'll be served beverages or (maybe) food when it comes. I can't make the plane go faster or arrive earlier.

And now they want to give people internet service in the air? Yikes!

--Kathy H

December 20, 2007 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home