Friday, December 07, 2007

Meyer Lemons


In cooking, as in so much of life, I am confronted with my own inadequacies. I am messy, wasteful, self-indulgent. Before I went to Jamaica, I was in Central Market and they had Meyer lemons. We don't do many varieties of lemons in the US. Or for that matter, limes or bananas. You can get Valencia oranges, navel oranges, blood oranges, Seville oranges. But for lemons, we mostly got the one. But once in awhile you'll see Meyer lemons. They're less tart than regular lemons, and for that reason not everyone likes them. But I like them a lot. So even though I was leaving the country in a couple of days, I bought some lemons.

Then I worked, packed, did laundry, and, well, didn't use the lemons. I got back from Jamaica and the Meyer lemons were very very ripe, but had not spilled over into rotten.

Today I made a lemon meringue pie from the Meyer lemons. I like lemon meringue pie a lot. But the really fun thing is, Bob likes it a whole lot. Sometime in the next couple of hours there is a very good chance he will check my blog, and then he'll find out he's having Meyer lemon meringue pie tonight.

Hey Bob! Can't wait until you get home!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woot!

December 07, 2007 4:29 PM  
Blogger Caroline M. Yoachim said...

Ooooh, that looks delicious!

December 07, 2007 6:00 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Caroline, you have to teach me how to light food. I love your blog posts!

December 07, 2007 6:21 PM  
Blogger Caroline M. Yoachim said...

Thanks, Maureen. We should get together some time and cook something and then photograph it :) Really though, most of what I do isn't so much lighting as touch up work in photoshop...

December 07, 2007 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! That meringue looks perfect! Back in California we had Meyer's lemons growing out front is sort of a hedge. I used to pick them and make lemon curd for scones. My mouth is puckering just thinking of those lemons. What Bob said!
Anon

December 08, 2007 12:09 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

It is a pretty good pie. Bob thinks maybe better than traditional lemon meringue, but what he probably really needs is for me to back a regular lemon meringue and a Meyer lemon meringue pie and we can do comparisons.

Next, though, is molasses ginger cookies.

December 08, 2007 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home