Thursday, December 06, 2007

Is This Not a Great Cover?

When I was a kid, once I got one of those 'big books' for kids that had stories, puzzles, nonfiction, all sorts of stuff in it. I loved it beyond words.

Now I'm in one. Well sort of. This one only has stories in it, but it's still cool. (Image stolen from Nathan Balingrud's livejournal.)


Blogger irongoddess said...

This is awesome! And even more awesome because you're in it!

What story is it?

Although I DO think they could have put just one puzzle in...

December 07, 2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

The story is called "Special Economics".

Jieling set up her boombox in a plague-trash market in the part where people solds parts for cars. She had been in the city of Shenzhen for a little over two hours but she figured she would worry about a job tomorrow. Everybody knew you could get a job in no time in Shenzhen. Jobs everywhere.
“What are you doing?” a guy asked her.
“I am divorced,” she said. She had always thought of herself as a person who would one day be divorced so it didn’t seem like a big stretch to claim it. Staying married to one person was boring. She figured she was too complicated for that. Interesting people had complicated lives. “I’m looking for a job. But I do hip-hop, too” she explained.

December 07, 2007 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home