Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Box For Iraq


The Adopt a Marine program is going really well. I've given out 35 names and addresses from my list of 70 Bravo Company guys.

People often ask me what to send. Here's what I'm sending in my next box. A remote controlled car and batteries, a box of vanilla wafers, a box of Cheez-its, a couple of wired magazines, a book called The Making of a Chef and three packages of jerky. Jerky and Red Bull are among the most requested items, along with Baby Wipes and hand sanitizer. (I asked Jason about the Baby Wipes and he said Baby Wipes would be great because in the field there's no way to get clean. But I forgot to get them for this box. Next box.) I bought the jerky in Fredericksburg, Texas yesterday and when I put the two packages on the counter, I said, 'These are going to Iraq.' The guy running the store immediately threw the third little package in for free and said, 'You tell them we're thinking of them. You tell them we care."

The one thing I know they want that I won't send is cigarettes. It seems foolish to worry about smoking when they're getting shot at, but I can't quite bring myself to put a carton of Marlboros in a box. Jason says that magazines are probably a little better than books. Some of the guys read books, but everybody likes a magazine.

I'll be pleased to get this one off. The post office says stuff is getting there in about two weeks. That means if they aren't on patrol, they've got a good chance of getting there before Thanksgiving.

Maybe I should have bought turkey jerky.

Well, probably not.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can they use DVDs? I was wondering if I could send a copy of "Red Dawn".
-W. Wolverine

November 16, 2007 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Popsicle Recipes said...

Greeat blog

May 31, 2023 4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home