Sunday, December 09, 2007

Sweeney Todd is coming (The Sweeney Variations)

The movie version of Sweeney Todd is coming (Dec. 21 in selected cities and then Jan. 11 in wide release.) I love Sweeney Todd. I really like Johnny Depp. But I wasn't sure I liked the idea of Depp as Sweeney. I thought Sweeney required a certain kind of voice. But advance discussion is good. And this YouTube comparison makes me think that Depp is going to be all right. I don't think he should do it on Broadway where he would be required to sing it six times a week. But miked and mixed for a movie, he has a creepy intimacy that seems very effective.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it matters, I loved Depp as Sweeney Todd. He was obsessed and scary and tragic. He was very subtle in his facial expressions, always looking at something in the distance, something only he could see. I also loved Helena Bonham Carter, focussed on her own obsessions. And Toby (Ed Saunders) was a treat, but then I'm always a sucker for child actors. Alan Rickman is always to die for, and I had never seen Sacha Baron Cohen, but he was marvelously comic.

January 07, 2008 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home