Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Sweet Sweet

Barth Anderson mentioned in his blog that mangoes are good right now. I have been craving fruit (usually I crave things that are bad for me, so this is a good thing.) On Wednesday I bought a mango at the grocery. They're so heavy for their size, a thing in your hand. I brought it home, cut around it in quarters and used my thumb to peel the flesh off the pit in the center. It was so juicy that the juice ran down my chin and my forearm as I stood at the sink eating it.

It was one of those experiences where you forget everything but what you are doing and the experience absorbs you completely. Heavy, sensual and rich. It was so much about life in some way I can't explain.

Thanks, Barth.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Tom,

As a child, I read a short story about a formal dinner with a magician (Leaky?), who had enchanted mangos that would not drip on your clothes when eaten (non-magical mangos can only be eaten in the bathtub).

There was also a tiny cow on the table that gave cream, and a dragon who lived in the fireplace who could cook fish.

April 07, 2005 2:11 PM  
Blogger Motherhood for the Weak said...

Ahh, sounds lovely. Unfortunately, I've never had good mangos in the US. The last ones I had were off a tree in Nicarague--absolute heaven.

My spring fruit is a big, ripe strawberry.

Alas, in short supply this season. Most are moldy and soft, bad year I think for berries.

Michelle

April 07, 2005 9:22 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

Hi Maureen-

Just dropping in. Mangos... yum. What a good day to drop on by, and what a good story to hear about!

Pamela

April 07, 2005 10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your welcome, Maureen!

What kind of mango was it? Any idea?

Barth

April 09, 2005 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home