Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Goober

When Tracey from rescue was first telling me about Hudson, she said, 'He's what we call a goober.' And, well, she was right. We went for a walk this morning--not far, the poor boy just had his balls lopped off on Friday. But this morning he was so full of energy, running around the house, skidding the rugs across the hardwood, that I figured if I didn't burn a little off, he'd drive everyone, including himself, crazy. So off we went.

Hudson is my first boy dog. So I am not yet accustomed to the need to pee on every tree, bush, sign post and upright unmoving object. He was dry long before he ran out of things to mark. He'd lunge ahead, coming up short on the leash, then halt and sniff, and sniff, and sniff. The neighborhood and world are utterly new. He starts at sounds, lifts his ears, wags his tail at people leaving their house to get into their cars. His tongue lolls. Like me! He says. Like me likemelimeme! Ilikeyou! Itsallsofun! I'msohappy!

But even at his most gooberish, he's got good manners. He will sit, although he can barely contain himself when he does. He doesn't surf counters. He doesn't bark. (He actually starts a little when Shelly erupts at something outside on the street. I told him it's okay, we've had her for years and we haven't gotten used to it, either.) He's a little prone to jumping on you when you come in the door, but is aware he isn't supposed to and can be quickly dissuaded. So then he just dances. He follows Bob and I from room to room and stands outside the bathroom patiently. He doesn't scratch. He's perfectly housebroken. And he prefers to walk on my right, which makes me think he's had some training.

The only problem so far is that he would really like something to chew on. We bought Nylabones--the super hard, good for dogs kind. But Shelly cannot bear that he actually have something. We bought two bones but of course, she wants the one he has. And when he has it, she suddenly attacks him. He drops down to play, but he's six times her size and she isn't playing. We pull him away, she keeps attacking until one of us picks her up.

Luckily, he just thinks she's playing. Likemelikemelikeme! But it means that all the toys are kept locked up, at least for now.

It's strange to have a new dog. He's adorable, my handsome new boy, but we aren't quite his and he's not quite ours. He doesn't know us yet. We don't know him, yet. He's a bit of a stranger in our midst, although a good-natured, well-meaning one. I plan to start obedience classes with him when I can. It will be good for both of us, I think.

9 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I can see you getting into Rally Obedience with Hudson. I think you'd be really good at it. He's so very cute. I'm so very happy for you and Bob! - Michelle

January 20, 2008 3:24 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

What's Rally Obedience?

January 20, 2008 5:03 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Rally-O is a course of 10 or more stations and each station has a sign with the things you're supposed to do on it, like figure 8's and stop-sit-stay, etc. It's designed for companion dogs, rather than show (breeding) dogs. If you don't have Hudson's papers, that's okay. You can still do AKC Rally-O (or AKC Agility). They allow unregistereds that look like their parent breed to compete in the companion dog stuff. Here's a link that tells you more. http://www.akc.org/events/rally/index.cfm

January 20, 2008 6:10 PM  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

He looks very sweet. (And hello to Shelly, by the way - it's always important to remember the first kids one the block.) Carlo, who for almost a year now has insisted he WILL NOT HAVE ANOTHER DOG fell in deep like last weekend with a pregnant Newfoundland that we happened upon. She dropped her puppies , five of them, on Tuesday. Stay tuned.

January 20, 2008 6:37 PM  
Blogger Tour Mistress Of The Darkness said...

In my experience, all Goldens are goobers. *g* It's good to see that things are working out so far for all of you.

January 20, 2008 7:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's weird to have a new pet. When I've adopted baby animals, kittens or puppies, I've bonded with them very quickly. There's some biological thing going on there that kicks in, I'm sure.

But adopting adult animals seems to be a little different, for the animal too! At first they seem like houseguests, then they start the slow process of winning you over and being won over. In some ways, maybe it's more of a genuine friendship that way.

January 20, 2008 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like he's a dog with real potential, smart and obedient. Sounds like you might have a keeper, and nothing is more loyal than a well-kept dog.

January 20, 2008 10:20 PM  
Blogger Adrienne Martini said...

I have a child like your Golden. Total goober. It's a lot of fun to be around someone so remarkably goofy.

January 21, 2008 10:22 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Karen, I will be watching Pen in Hand for hints of possible dog.

Stephanie, it is that way with an adult dog. He's not sure what all this is about, and in a whole different way, neither are we.

We went for a walk today in the rain, and although it was drizzly and exciting and he kept forgetting, he really tried to walk on my right side. He watches me, which is a good sign for training. He's a little skittish while walking. He was found running the highway, so I think it's kind of exciting/scary. But when he got back and went out in the back yard, he discovered we have squirrels. He is kind of beside himself, now. Every tree is laden with potential, and he goes from window to window, looking.

Adrienne, I think my (human) boy is a bit of a goober, too. And it is charming!

January 21, 2008 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home