Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Getting with the Program

Bob and I are considering beginning a program of diet and exercise designed to make us healthier, happier people. We haven't exactly come up with a program yet. In the past, I have always taken command when we wanted to eat better. I opted out this time because the we that decided wasn't me for once, but him. I felt if he wanted to eat better, I'd cook it, but he'd have to make all the decisions.

The problem with a program of diet and exercise is that as readers of this blog, you can expect to be bored out of your mind. I'm fond of explaining to people that life-threatening illnesses make reading a blog really compelling. They give life, and the blog, a plot. Plot is usually sorely lacking in blogs.

I suppose if I set a weight loss goal, that would create a plot also, but unlike the arcane nature of a medical emergency, I will have no high tech medical experiences involving strange acronyms or charismatic doctors. Everybody knows about weight loss. If by chance you don't, then you have a marvelous metabolism and no television. I would like to find a weight loss program that was exotic. (Chris Barzak did. He moved to Japan and lost weight. He also had lots of other incredible experiences.) Unfortunately, moving to Japan doesn't look like a viable option for a weight loss program right now.

So any day now I will make a decision about a new name for the blog and start writing snappy blog entries about diet and exercise.

I am not willing to post my weight or my measurements. I'm not even sure that we'll ever actually start a program. We are thinking about it. We really are.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get the SuperFoods book. It's full of common sense disguised as much more appealing research jargon. Mock us afterward.

March 22, 2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Hey Maureen, I plan on keeping my Japanese diet as much as I can when I'm home in a month. They really taught me how to eat a well-balanced diet and exactly how much food how often a day I should really be eating, and how much exercise is needed to stay fit. It also helped that I couldn't fit into Japanese clothes well when I got here. Good incentive to lose weight. But the secret is tofu. And veggies. And miso soup. All key to the diet. And it's a slow diet so you lose slowly but should keep it off easily after you reach your desired weight. Anyway, tofu tofu tofu! ;-)

March 23, 2006 3:33 AM  
Blogger David Moles said...

Maureen, you can write about food any time. Really.

For what it's worth, moving to Switzerland also seems to be working. (Though that's mostly the exercise and not the food, which seems to consist mostly of cheese.)

March 23, 2006 3:47 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

I'm thinking of starting a program too, but am hampered by the fact that 2.5 out of the 4 people living in this house eat like children (2 of them ex officio, of course). Perhaps you will inspire me (no pressure, though).

March 23, 2006 1:53 PM  
Blogger Responsible Artist said...

Oh, dear. I've just tried the new Lochmead Dairy version of White Forest ice cream (the woman at the counter described it as a poor man's Cherry Garcia.) But one of my composition students is writing fiery piece on the differences between Japanese and American foods. Here's the abstract for one of his sources:

Nutritional Evaluation of Japanese Take-out Lunches Compared with Western-style Fast Foods Supplied in Japan: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ap/fc/2002/00000015/00000001/art01021

March 23, 2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

All I want to know is whether this will prevent you from renaming your blog Baked Goods.

March 24, 2006 5:26 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Karen, the thought had crossed my mind.

As had the idea of calling it Half-Baked.

March 24, 2006 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home