Thursday, March 09, 2006

Packing to Leave Planet Cancer Again

Sarah of Journey to Babeland sent me to a Hodgkin's bb. I was on a list serve when I was in treatment but I had difficulty with the way my mail works, so I was glad to join this one, and suspect I will stay awhile, even if I'm healthy.

Yesterday we learned that one of the members had died. Her mother posted a note saying what had happened and thanking the board. I've only been there a week, but she was posting until the day she died and it knocked the emotional wind out of me. I feel like porcelain.


On the other hand (who knew there was another hand) Small Beer Press is going to be publishing the paperback of Mothers & Other Monsters Real Soon Now and Gavin and Kelly are in the final stages of getting it ready. When I was in New York for The Story Prize I learned that book clubs all over Greenwich Village were reading it. So of course it seemed like a good idea to have one of those reader's guides in the back. I did a few questions and sent them to Gavin, but on the Small Beer semi-regular email and sales brochure (get yer red hot deals on Carol Emshwiller!) he asked for people to submit questions.

I love the idea. So if you've read some of my stories, or even read the collection and you can think of a question for the reader's guide, please post it in the comments or send it to me and I'll forward any on to Gavin.

5 Comments:

Blogger Erin O'Brien said...

TAG! You're it. More info here.

And, yes, will try to come up with a question or two ...

March 09, 2006 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought the hardcover from Gavin himself at the AWP conference, several hours ago! No questions yet, but I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Hope you're feeling less fragile.

March 09, 2006 2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maureen,

I had a question for the discussion guide for the MOTHERS paperback, but then found it to be answered in your interview at Strange Horizons (http://www.strangehorizons.com/2002/20020909/mchugh.shtml). Still, I think it might be of interest to your readers who've never heard of Strange Horizons:

I suspect that the blend of science fiction and sparse psychological realism in your work is due to some interesting reading habits. Can you talk about your influences, literary and otherwise?

Ugh, now that I wrote that, it sounds pretty gross. Oh well. I just find that mixture (Ray Carver + Sci Fi) so fascinating--I loved reading about your influences, and I think others would, too.

Looking forward to the reading at Mac's later this month.

- Austin

March 10, 2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Hey Austin, thanks. I found your blog through Darby Dixon. Great blog! Look forward to seeing you at Mac's Backs.

March 10, 2006 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Questions about the stories? I've got lots but one might be about the first story in the book.

1)"Is she better off at the end of the story? If so, why are all the plants dead and why is the place run-down?"
2) "Do people after death continue to have obligations to their descendants?"
3) In the "Lincoln Train" story is there anyone, anyone at all, totally innocent and "good?" How does the last exchange between the rescuer and the girl suggest otherwise? [It helps to be from the South to "get" this one.]
Aside: Loved these stories even if they came at a high price to their author.

March 11, 2006 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home