Tuesday, November 08, 2005

A Quandry

Funny how strange it felt at the oncologist office. Some small part of me wanted to still be part. It's the same part of me that when I hear someone speaking a foreign language wishes I spoke that language.

But while I'm more than willing to learn a foreign language, I really don't want to be part of the oncology inner circle.

But here's my quandry. I have this blog called 'Hodgkins & Me' but I don't feel that I have much to say about Hodgkins. So what do I do, start a new blog and update it irregularly? (My life is, thank God, pretty uninteresting these days. And when I do something interesting, it's for business and covered by Non-disclosure agreements.) Do I keep this blog and ignore the name?

I spent some time yesterday catching up on other people's blogs. That was fun.

Today I'm waiting for Kelly Link and Gavin Grant to arrive. My publishers! I guess having one's publishers to dinner could be nervewracking, but Kelly and Gavin were friends first and mostly I'm just excited about vegetarian lasagna and pumpkin pie. And much much book talk! Kelly and Gavin always know about books that I haven't heard of. Over the years Kelly has given me some extraordinary books, the most recent being I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith. I suspect this is a total XX chromosome book, but it's charmins and smart. In a way it reminds me of Shirley Jackson although it is not dark the way Jackson is dark. When I was in college one of my most favorite books was We Have Always Lived in the Castle. And I can still recite the doggeral that followed Merrycat down the street.

"Merrycat," said Constance, "would you like a cup of tea?"
"Oh no," said Merrycat, "you'll poison me."
"Merrycat," said Constance, "would you like to go to sleep?
Down in the graveyard, six feet deep?"

Anyway, blog suggestions welcome. Now I've got to go to work for a bit and then make a pumpkin pie.

9 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

Can't you just change the title, since the url is your name?

November 08, 2005 3:23 PM  
Blogger chance said...

Just change the name - that's what I always do when I get bored of the old one.

November 08, 2005 4:19 PM  
Blogger chance said...

(oh and if you don't know how I can do it for you or attempt to walk you through it - it's not hard)

November 08, 2005 4:23 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Yeah, you can change the title, as Autumn and Chance suggest. You can keep the url though. So no seperate blog is needed. Unless you feel the need to keep this one seperate.

I loved I Capture the Castle. It's one of my all time favorite books.

November 08, 2005 5:33 PM  
Blogger spcknght said...

I'll chime in with everyone else. Do what YOU want to do with it. Blogs can change and evolve, but you can either change it, or begin anew with another one, and leave this one as a completed chapter of your life.

November 08, 2005 8:54 PM  
Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

"Hodgkins and Me" can lead to a sequel, "Farewell to Hodgkins," for post-malignant discussions. If necessary, "The Return of Hodgkins" can someday round out a tragic trilogy, but some third volumes fail to appear through lack of demand.

I occasionally find myself discussing I Capture the Castle with someone who tells me that I cannot like it -- Greer Gilman, most recently. Not sure why girls think it girls-only.

November 09, 2005 6:56 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

It seems to me I've had a couple of guys tell me that I Capture the Castle left them cold--that it was a girl book.

I'm tickled to learn otherwise.

And the first line is killer.

November 09, 2005 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*waves wildly at Maureen*

I have no opinion on the blog. Since I'm apparently the only spec fic writer in the world who doesn't have one of my own, I'm not sure I'm entitled to an opinion.

But I just wanted to wave and say hi!

--Carrie

November 10, 2005 3:15 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Whatever you do, don't close the blog. Rename it. Redesign it. Whatever you like, but don't cut us off at the knees.

I was turned on to I Capture the Castle by Don Keller, who flunks the XX test. It's a luscious book, whatever your chromosomal makeup...

November 10, 2005 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home