Tuesday, April 26, 2005

St. Anthony's Fire

Erysipelas, actually. I have a strep infection in the skin of my face. So no chemo #11 yet.

It's one of those immuno-compromised things. Old people, people with chemo, alcoholics and AIDS patients get it. The left side of my face is swollen and red. I have penicillin capsules, and if those don't have a pretty dramatic effect by tomorrow, I'll go into the hospital for 48 hours to have an IV drip. It's an old disease, actually. Medievil peasant kind of disease, when it was called St. Anthony's Fire. Needless to say I would be tons happier without it.

Mostly I'm unhappy because until it is under control, no chemo. I was two weeks away from my last chemo and now that's receeding. I'm tentatively scheduled for chemo on Thursday. Pray to St. Anthony, I guess.

10 Comments:

Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Oh, crumb. Hope the penicillin does the trick and you get back on the chemo train soonest.

I have to say, though, that there's a certain glamor to having something as, um, medieval as St. Anthony's Fire. I am now being tweaked by a memory that one of the Roman emperors had it, and spent most of his time at the baths seeking some relief.

April 26, 2005 11:26 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Madeleine,

I am taking what comfort I can, and a Roman emperor sounds good. The unfortunate aspect of it is that I am temporarily quite grotesque. I'm kind of unrecognizable in a mirror.

But you know, a bath sounds pretty good.

April 26, 2005 11:41 AM  
Blogger Greg van Eekhout said...

Though St. Anthony suffered trials against demons in the shapes of beasts, he emerged from his ordeals vigorous in mind and body. May your full vigor return at its soonest.

April 26, 2005 12:18 PM  
Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

Does this mean you're not going to upload a photo?

April 26, 2005 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eew. Poison Ivy would have been better. I hope it clears up with the capsules so you can get back on track with your Chemo.

April 26, 2005 3:53 PM  
Blogger David Moles said...

Yucky! Lots of oatmeal baths.

April 26, 2005 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cruddy. Having chemo postponed (I once had it postponed 3!weeks!) is a crappy, crappy thing, especially when you are so close to the finish line. I hope the penicillin works its magic ASAP so you don't have to hold off on crossing the finish line much longer.

Take care.

April 27, 2005 2:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ow, honey. Glad you caught it fast.

April 27, 2005 6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary T here.

Oh, Maureen, I'm so sorry! I wish it had been poison ivy. Poison ivy is so much more -- I don't know -- cheerful a disorder.

Cross fingers the penicillin works.

M

April 27, 2005 5:04 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Penicillin seems to be doing its job! At least my face isn't lop-sided anymore. Thanks for all the good wishes, guys. You don't know how much it helps.

April 27, 2005 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home