Saturday, June 04, 2005

The Rehabilitation Program

Bob has decided as part of my rehab program and his program to actually get exercise, we should ride bikes. I've had a bike for years. But for him, a regular bike won't do. He says that the bike has to be cool, different, interesting in an engineering sort of way. So here's the bike he's picking up from the bike shop tomorrow.




There are trails near us that run along the old Erie-Ohio Canal towpath. Since they follow a canal they have the distinct advantage of being perfectly flat. I am so out of shape that the idea of perfectly flat perfectly appeals to me. There is a place we can park, ride our bikes on a Saturday morning to a place where we can have breakfast, and then ride back. I'm thinking next weekend we're there.

I started exercising at Curves again. Well, exercise is a process. I'll get to the point where I can actually do stuff again without my heartrate soaring, I'm sure. And I did have that smug, satisfied 'I exercised!' feeling afterwards.

8 Comments:

Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

That is a seriously curious looking bike. How does it ride?

Yeah, I emerge from the gym feeling deeply virtuous. And very tired.

June 04, 2005 11:12 PM  
Blogger David Moles said...

I heard "Bob" and "bicycle" and I didn't even need to see the picture, really. :)

Without nearly as good an excuse, I've been to the gym even less than you have, this spring, and yet somehow I've gone every day since I got back from WisCon. Yay smug satisfaction! Yay WisCon!

(Also, I think bike lanes, particularly on canal towpaths, should have some sort of system of locks to deal with the less flat parts. There's probably some way you could use hydraulic power from the canal to do it.)

June 05, 2005 11:25 AM  
Blogger Greg van Eekhout said...

Bob should totally mount some rotor blades on that thing and get one of those leather aviator's caps with the goggles.

June 05, 2005 1:26 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Madeleine, it's a recumbent and you pedal forward rather than down. It's like sitting in a chair with your legs stuck out in front of you, pedaling. Bob's is actually blue.

David, yeah, it's got Bob written all over it, doesn't it. We went today and picked it up, along with goodies like bike helmets, a bell and a handlebar mounted rearview mirror. Bob is going to get a pirate flag to fly from the back--although it's hard to imagine anyone less piratical than us.

Although Bob will probably pedal down the tow path in shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, which I think is delightful. We made a solemn vow to each other to never, ever even consider wearing spandex.

June 05, 2005 1:26 PM  
Blogger Responsible Artist said...

Bob has inspired me to wear a pirate patch and a parrot next time I go to Curves.

June 07, 2005 12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like recumbants. They are a little weird to ride if you're not used to them. They aren't as maneuverable-- good for straightaways, though.

Recumbants are not as far down the learning curve as conventional bikes-- still need some design optimization. Of course, in my opinion, conventional designs went too far down the learning curve, but at least the decades-long fad for French racing bicycles with a gazillion gears is beginning to fade. They're highly optimized for touring France (at high speed without looking at anything) and an idiotic design for almost any other use.

Joe Haldeman is the real bicycle expert around SF-- he has both a recumband and a racer.

June 07, 2005 11:10 AM  
Blogger Motherhood for the Weak said...

The bike looks cool! Glad to see you're feeling better and better. I'm back at the gym after a 2 week hiatus so I'm feeling the burn too :) It'll get easier, I hope!

M

June 08, 2005 9:47 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

i know they look silly, but spandex bike clothes always make me feel much more aerodynamic. you might like them!

May 11, 2007 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home