Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bob and I Make Christmas Cookies



First, I would like to say, we are still happily married. Second, the cookies are fabulous.

We made different styles of cookies, as befits our personalities. Bob saw a cookie press and got excited--when he was a kid, his mother would use a cookie press to make cookies that he and his brother would decorate. A cookie press, if you don't know what it is, is basically a caulking gun for cookie dough, with a circular cut out at the end, so the dough shapes stars or Christmas trees or hearts. The dough is a gorgeous sweet butter cookie dough. We bought sugar and sprinkles and icing and Bob extruded dozens of cookies.



I am making Christmas cookies for a cookie exchange. (I'm hoping at least one other exchanger will post photos, and if they do, I will add a link.) Several weeks ago I saw a recipe for peanut butter caramel cookies and wanted to try it, despite the intimidating 'making caramel from scratch' factor. So I did, and I think they came out well.

The engineer uses cool tools to perfectly recreate a memory (when he tasted the first one he stood with his head slightly back and his eyes closed going, "Ummm, ummmm, ummm!" so I think he succeeded.)

The writer/cook seeks to create something that I imagine, hoping it will taste unexpected and good. The peanut butter cookies are pretty good.

We're both pretty happy. And not hungry for dinner.

(More cookies that might possibly be in the cookie exchange.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

God those peanut butter/caramel cookies look good. I think I can smell them from Solon....

December 21, 2008 10:59 PM  
Blogger Caroline M. Yoachim said...

OMG OMG OMG peanut butter caramel cookies! :: drools ::

And both the cookie pictures look gorgeous.

I'm only half done with my baking at the moment, but there will eventually be pictures :)

December 22, 2008 7:25 AM  
Blogger jesswynne said...

I am drooling over the peanut butter caramel cookies, but the orderly rows and rows of Bob's cookies! Awesome!

December 22, 2008 11:02 AM  
Blogger Responsible Artist said...

This is the first year in many that the fam didn't come together at our mom's to bake cookies. Still, she did ask me to bake some chocolate peppermint cookies that she saw in Martha Stewart Living (memo to self: don't buy any more copies of Living) and I spent many hours making tasty but not nearly so beautiful version.

December 22, 2008 11:54 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

"Responsible Artist" - I learned the MS Living lesson a few years ago when I attempted to make snowmen from a recipe that required I drive to multiple stores to find "Pearl sugar" and in the end, they flopped! After all that work! I just kept saying to my husband "but I did it exactly like Martha said.....they worked for Martha.....I thought Martha was always right...."

December 22, 2008 10:13 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Frohe Weinachtens, Maureen & Bob!

December 25, 2008 1:15 PM  
Anonymous drugstore said...

I like christmas cookies and also I think Christmas time has not sense if you don't bake cookies.

September 29, 2011 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home