Friday, July 27, 2007

An Acapella Blues Break

I should be writing--or at least staring at the manuscript--but I heard "People Grinnin' In Your Face" on the way home from yoga last night. I was clapping and bobbing at a stop light when I realized what that always must look like from outside the car.

This is Austin, the live music capital of the country. People must have known I wasn't having a seizure.

Anyway, the version on her new CD The Phenomenal Ruthie Foster has a couple of backup singers but it's still sans instruments. That's what I was listening to last night. In a Subaru Outback. At the intersection of Burnet and 183. If you saw me and were wondering if I should be allowed to drive without medication or something.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that song!

July 27, 2007 2:35 PM  
Blogger Tour Mistress Of The Darkness said...

Ruthie Foster is amazing indeed. I had the pleasure of hosting her at one of my living room concerts a few years ago, and it was a great afternoon.

July 27, 2007 8:17 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Holy crap! That was amazing. I've got to pick up her CD. That's a song by Son House, one of the greatest blues singers ever, and a teacher to John Mooney, another fine blues singer who I used to listen to in a little bar every Monday night in New Orleans. Thanks for bringing that all back!

July 28, 2007 1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a die hard "The Who" fan.
But the Blues take the cake!
That's where it all started,
that "rock and roll" thing.

Muddy Waters,Howlin' Wolf,
Lead Belly,and so on...

Ruthie rocks!

If the music doesn't
do something for or to
you,it's worthless!

That number says alot!

July 28, 2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I picked up one of the tracks from her latest album ("Harder Than the Fall"). I think you just convinced me to get the rest.

Phenomenal Ruthie Foster indeed.

August 02, 2007 7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home