Monday, March 19, 2007

Nutrionally Dense



I posted about my experiment in eating dense over on Eat Our Brains. Do you know how much easier it is to make a big pot of something and stick it in the fridge for a week than it is to think of something to eat for lunch every day? I'm really serious about thinking about good dinners, but lunch often comes in under the radar.

This is turkey bean soup. It's easy to make and it takes substitutions gracefully.



Turkey Bean Soup (base recipe)

1 lb. italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
2 teasp. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 can of beans (I used Great Northern)
2 cups of chicken broth

Brown the sausage like it was hamburger and add the onion and garlic and saute until onion is transparent.

Add everything else and simmer for 15 minutes.
It's high in fiber, low in calories.

For today's batch, I doubled the chicken broth and added chard and whole wheat macaroni. Sometimes I added a chopped Serrano chili. That's good, too. If it needs a little more body, add some tomato paste. It's good with more vegetables, too.

It hits a certain sweet spot in my taste palate--I really really like it. Can eat it for breakfast. And it makes me feel virtuous. Most important of all, it takes about four days for me to get tired of it. Since this week I'm headed out to AggieCon on Friday, that about covers the week, lunchwise.

9 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

I'm so doing this recipe next weekend. I hate figuring out stuff to eat every day.

March 19, 2007 9:02 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Chris, let me know how you like it?

March 19, 2007 9:10 PM  
Blogger Darby M. Dixon III said...

Ditto. (I started doing Big Pot O Food things before I got my job. I really liked doing that. Easy enough for me to do. When I bother to do it, that is. But yeah I'm definitely going to give this a shot.)

March 20, 2007 12:49 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Hey Darby!

Are You Writing?

March 20, 2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger Darby M. Dixon III said...

I am. Now, whether I'm happy with what I'm writing, depends on what time of what day you ask me...

Right now, I feel pretty good, since I just got about the Best Rejection Letter Ever. Whee!

March 20, 2007 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this last night. It came out very well. Thanks for the recipe!

I also found squeezing the turkey meat out of the sausage casings to be weirdly satisfying...

March 21, 2007 2:41 PM  
Blogger icing said...

Nice recipe! Not being sure what turkey sausage actually is, I did a variation with chicken breast and kidney beans. Looks different as well, but tasty.

March 21, 2007 4:29 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Tim, I bet you're fun at parties.

Stefan, chicken would be good, too, but if you ever get a chance to make it with turkey sausage, it has more flavor. Turkey sausage is a conspiracy by turkey farmers to convince us that turkey tastes as good as pork. Although I like turkey a great deal, it is no substitute for bacon. But turkey sausage isn't that bad.

March 21, 2007 11:03 PM  
Blogger icing said...

Maureen, found a recipe for turkey sausage. I'll put it on my things-to-try list and will see if Germany is ready for it.

March 23, 2007 6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home