Tuesday, January 11, 2005

THX1138, I'm ready!

I've been hinting and looking puppy-eyed and making myself a nuisance and last night, Bob gave in. He got out the beard trimmer and carefully shaved my head.

And I'm free! No more six inch strands of thin hair covering my scalp! I sat there with a big smile on my face the whole time he was doing it! And my scalp feels so cool! I keep running my hand across the very little bit I have left (he basically gave me a tight crewcut.)

He wins husband of the year award. While he was doing it, he said, "This may be the weirdest thing I've ever done."

I said, "It is not."

He said, "Okay. Second-weirdest?"

And he says I have a great shaped head.

I'm so happy, I'm running around with no hat! I don't look like an unkempt crazy person anymore! I look like a character from a science fiction movie! Is that cool or what! Of course, what I really didn't understand is that my head would get cold. I really was down to about ten percent of my hair before and I really thought there wasn't enough there to make a difference, but hair must be a great insulator. Last night I slept in a cap. Do guys who get a tight buzz cut notice that their head gets cold? Are guys stupid enough to get a tight buzz in January?

But I still love it. I keep running my hand over my slightly stubbly head and grinning like a madwoman.

9 Comments:

Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

Tell Bob to get out the digital camera and take a cute shot. If you can't bring yourself to upload it here, send me a jpg.

January 11, 2005 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally! now you really are:

one of us....!
one of us....!

-barth

January 11, 2005 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy,

Yes, the head feels cooler after a close cut. Some like putting their palm flat against the base of the skull, and rubbing it up and down to feel the hair stubs 'pole vault' your hand back and forth. Running your hands through the hair that is no longer there is also popular.

Hats in winter are required. What's worse is sunburn in the summer, especially when there is just enough hair left to hold onto the peeling, flaking pieces. Scrubbing your scalp in the shower helps.

We'd like to see a picture too,

Tom Kastan

January 11, 2005 3:28 PM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

Oh, me too! (Want to see a picture, that is.) Brava!

When I was in college, five guys in the dorm next door decided one drunken night to shave their heads. When they showed up the next morning for breakfast they caused a considerable furor in the (shared) dining room. What I remember is that the best looking guy had a terrible skull--bumpy and flat on the back. The guy who had always been sort of odd looking turned out to have a beautiful skull, smooth and perfectly shaped; he should have just kept on shaving his head, it was a great look.

Now, you're not at the mercy of the chemo, you've got a style. Go, you!

January 11, 2005 4:14 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Bob said, no. No picture. He'll have to speak for himself for an explanation. (But I think he just is afraid I might be a little disturbed. I, on the other hand, am still grinning madly.)

January 11, 2005 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're disturbed all right. But in a nice way.

- Bob

January 12, 2005 9:46 AM  
Blogger Derryl Murphy said...

I shave every summer, then grow it back every winter, although sometimes the calendar of shaving gets a tad screwed up and I find myself bald in Feb. or with hair in Aug. I find that in summer, a cool hand on the head is one of the most glorious feelings in the world. Also, if Bob has an itchy back, you can now scratch him with the top of your head.

If you get to the point where you actually have to shave bald, rather than down to crewcut level, then this site (http://www.headshaver.org/) is a great resource, including a section for women.

D

January 12, 2005 12:45 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

I should have realized.

A page for people whose fetish is women with bald heads.It's obvious once you think about it.

January 12, 2005 4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you know what lenght my hair stays. It keeps me warm in the winter, but I don't cut it quite as short in the winter as I do in the summer.

An important factor is keeping a warm layer of air next to your skin. It is why down keeps you warm. It traps air in the clothing and then your body heats it. Hair does that, but if you go outside, the wind blows it away unless the hair is fairly thick.

Levin

January 18, 2005 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home