Thursday, June 01, 2006

Boxes Boxes Everywhere










I just addressed twenty-two flat rate priority boxes to send to Iraq. Twenty-two boxes take up more space than I had actually considered. But I found out that even though you have to fill out a custom form, since the FPO addresses all have zip codes, the post office treats them like domestic mail. I included a custom form with each box so people could fill them out and not get the post office and find out there that they had to (as I did. In fact, the next time I mailed something to Jason, I had forgotten about the customs forms and had to fill it out at the post office again. The forms are brain dead easy--my last one listed the contents as 'snacks and cookies'.)

I am feeling insufferably virtuous about all of this.

In other equally fun Marine news, I found out that Jason Campbell's nickname in his Recon unit is 'Scramble.' He says he was in class in training and he was falling asleep and the instructor said, "Campbell."

From behind him, an amused voice said thoughtfully, "Scramble." And he's been Scramble Campbell ever since.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are virtuous for sending all those "care packages", but the space they took up was nothing compared to two van loads of fruit we sold three time to fund my sons' band trips to Europe. If the workshop timing were more certain, I might have been hitting on you guys for fruit sales, but those days are past now.

Levin

June 02, 2006 11:04 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Levin! I brought fruit from you. I remember those days.

June 03, 2006 6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did this at Christmas, which I do not advise because my living room looked like your picture there. It's amazing how much WON'T fit into the standard po boxes. Coming from the store, I figured I had 4 or 5 boxes...I think the final count was 15. And be sure not to mix the food with the toiletries, because no one wants to eat baby-wipe-scented popcorn! I got my names from anysoldier.com. I thought it very sad that all the women asked for tampons.

June 07, 2006 1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home