Thursday, May 15, 2008

Taos Snow

I know that the blog is beginning to be reminiscent of that Saturday Night Live skit, "Francisco Franco is still dead," but it's still snowing. I'm cooking dinner tomorrow so I'm a little miffed because I like watching the snow, but I'm not so pleased with driving to the grocery in it. Luckily, despite living in Austin, I still have a Cleveland car--an all wheel drive Subaru Outback.

On Sunday morning I will leave here, and drive west, dropping 10,000 feet into the desert and ending up at work on Monday in Pasadena, California. I have to think that we were not evolved to make these kind of major climate and pressure changes. But then, an airplane is even more abrupt.

Weird to have a life where locations are starting to feel like many rooms. Open this door and walk into snow. Open that one and sun and sea coast. Very science fictional.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steven Gould said...

Translocational.

I get the same feeling from airplanes but what really got me were subways.

In driving, we actually travel the territory between (though not as extremely as if we were walking it) but in a subway, we don't even travel the territory between. We can't see the territory (from high above like in an airplane.) We are someplace, we are in the dark not-between, and then we are someplace else.

May 15, 2008 10:52 AM  
Blogger SquidgePa said...

Best wishes for the long drive ahead.

May 17, 2008 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home