Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Gecko!


This is Bob's new pet. It lives on our house and he 'feeds' it by leaving the outside light on so as to attract insects. Every night Bob and the dogs go out to check on the gecko. Actually, we have a bunch of them, but two of them hang around our back door and he calls them Mama and Baby (based on relative size.)

Bob has an undergraduate degree in zoology and has kept a cayman, a black widow, and a ton of other creatures over the years. I can only count myself lucky that the geckos are outside pets.

(I should not be shocked that Adam has kept a variety of slightly odd pets.)

I am of two minds about odd pets. I love holding Mike and even took him outside for fresh air when I was last at Adam's. (Mike didn't seem to care one way or another.) But it does make travel difficult. It's one thing to have Howard take care of the dogs. I don't know how excited he would be about, say, an iguana. Although if I ever got one I would name it Darwin.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob's new pet is adorable!
Ellen

September 11, 2007 7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, we have these tiny little geckos that get into our apartment, and meg FREAKS out when she sees them. they're almost impossible to catch, too.

ah, texas. how 'bout this "cold" front, eh?

September 11, 2007 9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're Mediterranean Geckos from southern Europe, an invasive species. They just love Texas and are doing quite well here.

I'm rather fond of them.

September 11, 2007 11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I went to the
Jungle Operations
Training Center
in Panama,one of the guys
coined them "Mick Jagger lizards".

Thin body,large head with thick lips.
Look kind of Mick,ya know.

September 12, 2007 2:06 AM  
Blogger Cancer Bitch said...

They are also all females. Same as Indopacific geckos. They reproduce by parthenogenesis.
--Cancer Bitch
http://cancerbitch.blogspot.com

October 02, 2007 2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home