Thursday, November 02, 2006

Closing on the House Today

Today we close on a house and then I do a panel at World Fantasy. The panel is on gaming, specifically on MMORPGs and why the most successful MMORPGs tend to be fantasy based rather than science fiction based.

It's very strange to be on this panel. Two years ago I didn't even know what an MMORPG was (and I still don't play them because I'm afraid I would get addicted. For those people who are like me, MMORPGs are Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games, of which World of Warcraft is probably the 800 pound gorilla of the genre.) World of Warcraft is a role playing game with clear roots in D&D.

I have some things to say about why the most successful MMORPGs have been fantasy based rather than science fiction based (there have been sf based MMORPGs) but I don't really know very much about the whole field. I suspect I have been put on the panel because I freelance in the gaming industry. But I am an expert in a very narrow aspect of gaming--narrative structure in ARGs. And I'm an expert in that only because there are only a dozen or so people who have ever written for ARGs and most people probably haven't even heard of ARGs.

I intend to instantly expose myself as the fraud I am. For one thing, I suspect my powers of concentration will be shot.

Did I mention that in a few hours we're closing on the house in Texas?

10 Comments:

Blogger SquidgePa said...

Best of luck in closing. Its an odd feeling when you get to walk though the empty house that you just bought for the first time, planning for changes to paint and flooring, and where all of the furniture goes.

November 02, 2006 1:13 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Closing was painless.

We own the house.

Does that mean we're Texans?

November 02, 2006 4:59 PM  
Blogger SquidgePa said...

You told me a story once about meeting someone from Ireland that relates to this....

I believe the punchline was "They're Scots".

I think both of your parents have to be full-time Texans first, and then you have to be born there. Its in their constitution or something.

Tradition holds that, after the first seven years, you'll be able to call yourself an "Austin-ite".

November 02, 2006 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish I could have heard the panel and what you had to say. I find the ARGs completely fascinating, even though I would be afraid to play one for the same reason you cite for MMORPG -- obsession. Maybe someday.

November 02, 2006 9:35 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Gwenda, did I hear correctly that you're a household of two grad students? (I think it's very cool.)

November 03, 2006 8:48 AM  
Blogger mary grimm said...

I do not in fact know what an ARG is, but I like its sound.

November 03, 2006 8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what kind of freelancing for the gaming industry have you done?

November 04, 2006 9:09 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

I've written for a couple of ARGs. ARGs are, well, hard to explain, but here's a link to an explanation.

http://www.seanstewart.org/beast/intro/

I worked on an ARG called Ilovebees and on one called Last Call.

November 05, 2006 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And she was fascinating on the panel, actually. Had a conversation with Warren Spector later (he was also on the panel) and he was very impressed.

November 07, 2006 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very exited for you. I am a fan of the panel. congrats on the house. cody

November 17, 2006 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home