Friday, December 17, 2004

Chemo, second round

It's chemo day. I go in at 10:15 this morning, get my blood test to determine if my bloodcount is high enough for the drugs (which this early in chemo it undoubtably is) and then sit under a warm blanket and read while on IV. I'm a little unhappy, because I had tickets to see Messiah tonight. A friend, Peter Kvidera, is in the Cleveland Symphony Chorus. When they scheduled me chemo for today--the fifteen day mark--I said, 'But I have tickets for Messiah!'

My doctor gave me a sympathetic look and said 'That's too bad.' By which I understood that perhaps I should just give up on Messiah. I'd been planning to go with Geoff Landis and Mary Turzillo, friends (and fellow writers.) So I sent them all the tickets in the hope that they could find someone else who might want to go.

Yesterday I handed in grades and finished making copies and signing letters of recommendation for a couple of people interested in grad school, then stopped and picked up Chinese food. My fortune said, 'Prepare today for the demands of tomorrow.'

In other news--I finally cleaned up the kitchen.


6 Comments:

Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

Be sure to flash your "I Am Not A Threat" card on the way out!

December 17, 2004 9:47 AM  
Blogger Madeleine Robins said...

You know, you also get a card like that if you have a pacemaker. My father is inordinately proud of his "I am Not a Threat, I'm Just Bionic" card, and shows it off at every opportunity.

December 17, 2004 1:24 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Left at 9:30, got home about 4:15. Feeling all right. A little headachy and kind of shakey but not sick at all. And there are so many worse feelings in life than the desire to take a nap. Especially when the opportunity presents itself.

My white blood count was 1400. Technically, the minimum count for them to give chemo is 1500 but the doctor felt I would tolerate it. It just means I should not decide to go visiting the sick next week.

Over all, they are pleased with how I am handling chemo. And so am I.

December 17, 2004 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just dropping in from dm.net to say 'hi', Maureen.

I'm still anonymous because I haven't decided if I have the time or mental energy to sign up for a blog.

Sorry you had the miss the Messiah. The only time I've heard/seen it in concert was at the Royal Albert Hall (no, really! how cool is that?)

Alis

December 17, 2004 7:32 PM  
Blogger Gregory Feeley said...

Do people really =like= "The Messiah"? I assume Maureen was sorry to be missing a performance a friend was playing it. Handel's interminable oratorio seems to me almost impossible to sit through.

December 17, 2004 10:52 PM  
Blogger Responsible Artist said...

Messiah is beautiful and fun and even more fun when you go to the singalongs. One of my guilty pleasures is to turn up the stereo when everyone else is gone and belt it out and know that everyone in the neighborhood can hear the high notes and then pretend that nothing happened.

For unto us a son is bo-
ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-horn.

Congrats on cleaning up the kitchen.

December 18, 2004 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home